Monday, August 18, 2014

Taper Week in Navarre

This past week was a pretty crazy week. We went on a family vacation to Navarre Beach. But when you think about it, is it a crazy week? Since I started training I have logged workouts in Georgia, Seattle, Spokane, and Japan. Since I started my 13 week training plan I have trained in Jacksonville, Key West, Las Vegas, Navarre Beach and occasionally Warner Robins. So really it's not that unusual to train out of town.

While we were there I got a lot of awesome training in. Two hour long bike rides, one 9 mile run, a couple short runs, and a bunch of open water swims. But the best part was all the random cross training. Paddle boarding, kayaking, and of course pushing a stroller through the sand. I even ran with it on the sand for a little bit. Hardest. Thing. Ever.
One side of the street:  View of the Santa Rosa Sound
Other side of the street: View of the Gulf of Mexico
Katie was able to join me for one of my rides!
At first swimming in the Gulf of Mexico made me a little nervous, with it being Shark Week and all. Luckily, I didn't see any. Apparently, for the sharks, it was "Jeff Norris Week" so they stayed away from shore. 
My pool for the week.
The open water swimming was so awesome. It doesn't even feel like a workout. It makes me never want to hop back into a pool to do laps again. It really helped me with my sighting too. Although, every once in a while I would be swimming along and my hand would hit the sand and I would realize I was in about a foot of water. People must have thought I was crazy.

On one of my runs, I fell. I don't know how or why this happens, but it happens to me more than most people. I have fallen probably 4 or 5 times in my running career. Not on some hardcore trail, or running on ice, or slippery rocks. Nope. Just side walks and roads and stuff. It is incredibly embarrassing. But, if anyone were to stop and try and make fun of me I would just say, "Oh I am probably just tired because I'm training for a race that you would consider a decently long car drive." -Drops mic.-

Donation Update:
Well everyone.....WE DID IT!!!!  We have reached surpassed our $2,000 goal!!  Thank you so much to everyone who has donated!

A special thanks to our most recent donors:
Dan, Krista, Erin, Mike, Diane, Todd, Patty, Mom, Margaret, Nancy, Buckle, Jess, Scott, Shelley, the Radloff's, Patty, the Okel's, Larry, Debby, Scott, Derrick, & Dad for donating an amazing $1,048!!

We truly appreciate every single donation we have received.  The kids at The Methodist Children's Home are going to be so excited!  

I usually like to end with a funny quote, but I really wanted to leave a quote from Invictus (The poem, not the movie starring Morgan Freeman. Although I am a huge Morgan Freeman fan.) So I will have a serious quote and a funny quote.

"Never pick a fight with an ugly person; they've got nothing to lose." Robin Williams

"Beyond this place of wrath and tears, Looms but the horror of the shade, Yet the menace of the years, Finds, and shall find me, unafraid."  William Ernest Henley




No comments:

Post a Comment