Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Key West for work? I guess I'll go

Well, it's been a while since I've posted. That's because, any time I'm not swimming, biking, or running, all I want to do is sleep. Really, the only time I sit down is to watch Jeopardy, and I'm usually too busy heckling Alex Trebek to enjoy it. But anyway, there's about five weeks left until the race and I am really starting to feel the exhaustion setting in. Luckily, I'm not some Nancy pants, and I'm going to make sure I finish my training plan with a bang. Plus, it helps that my taper is only two weeks away (a taper is the last couple weeks before a race, when you begin to tone it down a bit, to allow your body to recover.)

But anyway, I'm having fun, and we're raising money. Life couldn't be better. This week should be awesome. I have a 4.5 hour bike on Saturday followed by a 2.5 hour run on Sunday (followed by sadness and soreness on Monday). And for the first time (since Christmas 2012), we get to go visit The Methodist Home and hang out with the kiddos! I'm hoping to convince some of them to think about doing a triathlon one day. But we'll start with baby steps.

The past couple weeks of training have been brutal, but awesome. I had a 2 hour and 45 minute run (my longest run yet), a 4 hour bike where all I did was hills, (my highest elevation gain yet), and a brick workout of a 4 hour bike immediately followed by a 1.5 hour run. Yes, that is a five and a half hour workout. And yes, I am a crazy person. But, is it really so crazy to enjoy running until you nearly collapse? Dean Karnazes would disagree. Look him up; he's insane! He has run the Bad Water Ultramarathon (135 mile running race..through Death Valley..in summer) and a multitude of other crazy distance races (some over 200 miles). He sums it up best with this quote, "Somewhere along the line we seemed to have confused comfort with happiness." I agree, Dean.

One thing that I have found the most fun and challenging of this endurance training is the logistics. If you go run for nearly 3 hours in the sun, you run out of food and water. This is fun because I get to stumble into gas stations (like a zombie) and grab whatever looks good at the time. On my long run the other day, I had three stops; 2 at gas stations and 1 at home. All in all, I consumed all of the water, a coconut water, a large Powerade, a cranberry Red Bull, a bag of pretzels, and a large pickle. There are few feelings that are better than running down highway 41, on mile 14, chomping on a zesty garlic pickle. I know that I am not an Ironman yet, but I do, in fact, have an iron stomach.

Another thing I've noticed while out on long runs and bike rides are my mood swings. I'm sure most people are familiar with, "Runner's High." It's a feeling people get while running when they feel "in the zone." If you've been there, you know what I'm talking about. Then there is a, "runner's low," where you feel like you can't get into a groove and the world is against you. Well, as the miles get longer, the highs get higher and the lows get lower. At mile 12 I can be yelling at cars that pass too close, and mile 13 I can be fighting off the urge to dance because Party Rock Anthem came on Pandora. It is like a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing.

Oh yeah, then we went to Key West. I was asked if I would go down to Key West on a business trip for a week. So, I stepped up and said, "Yes." Listen, I'm no hero. But when my country needs me to go to a beautiful tropical island, I grit my teeth, and I go.
Truman Annex NAS from the plane
Of course I'm kidding; I love it there. This time, (since it was the week of our 4 year anniversary) I flew Katie and Benny down too. So, it was half work trip, half vacation trip. I was also able to get some open water swims in at Zachary Taylor State Park. Between all of the working, and mahi-mahi sandwiches, I was able to get some decent workouts in. But I just mainly focused on being relaxed and having some fun time with the family.
Fort Zachary Taylor State Park
Fort Zachary Taylor Beach
Taking a break to play with Benny during my open water swim training
Relaxing family beach day 
When we got back from the work-cation, we went to a going away party for some friends, went to bed, and I was up at 5 the next morning; back to the grind. I had a 4 hour bike ride scheduled. When my alarm went off, I immediately thought of all the reasons why I shouldn't go out and ride. "It's probably raining. Am I sick? I bet I'm sick. I shouldn't ride because I flew on a plane yesterday. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere." But, for some reason, I stumbled out of bed to make a cup of coffee. If I can just make it to the kitchen and start making coffee, I'm good to go.

I decided to do the last hour or so on the trainer because I was bored of the road and out of food. So, Katie surprised me with some graham crackers and peanut butter, and a fruit smoothie! And then, of course, goetta for breakfast.

Donation Update:
We hit a BIG milestone today! Half of the 140.6 mile race has been sponsored!  We have raised over $800 so far, which brings us to 41% of our goal!

Thanks to:
Jim, Barry, Penny, Scott, Kelly, Annie, Del, Julie, Nicole, Doug, Edmond, Jenny & Zach for sponsoring a total of 20 miles!!

We had a huge jump in donations in the last few days.  Let's keep them coming!

Well, I think that's everything. Until next time!
Jeff

"Sometimes the road less traveled, is less traveled for a reason."
-Jerry Seinfeld

No comments:

Post a Comment