Monday, June 23, 2014

The Most Normal Week Ever!

Well, we raised some more money, got in some more training, and learned a lot. So I would call that a pretty successful week! I even had someone who read something on Facebook come up to me in the parking lot of work and hand me some money for The Methodist Children's Home. (Shout out to Uncle Joe Osborne, World's greatest nav!)

Finally. A normal(ish) week. No drive to Jacksonville. No random triathlon. No staying up way too late in Las Vegas. Just back to my normal life of training and eating right. I say normalish because working in a flying squadron is never really "normal". I still had a couple 4am wake-ups. But, for the most part, it was a fairly standard week.

This week's lesson has to do with being prepared. Not in the sense that the Boy Scouts are prepared and carry knives and stuff (although that is cool too). But being prepared to train seems to be one of the most challenging parts of this journey, for me. Since I usually work out before work, I have to pack a bag of shower stuff, workout stuff, and my uniform for work. The first couple times I did this, I would always forget something. Forgetting the cover (hat) to my uniform forces me to do the walk of shame outside, or stop and buy a new cover. Forgetting my underwear, forces me to do a different, more uncomfortable walk of shame. Forgetting my socks is never okay. Walking around in boots all day with no socks is less fun than you think.

So how do I do it? Always, always pack the night before. When I wake up at 6, 5, or 4 in the morning, I have no idea what's going on. The other day I woke up and ate left over chicken wings for breakfast because it seemed like a good idea at the time (spoiler alert: it wasn't a good idea). I literally have to pack my bag, and set it by the door so I trip on it on the way out. I have to pack my lunch the day before, too. If I try to pack my lunch the morning of, I would probably get to work and find that I packed a bag full of condiments or something like that. When I wake up, all I have to do is make a cup of coffee, eat a snack, brush my teeth, and get in the car.

So with all of that being said, that was the key to this week's success. I got in some good runs, good bikes, and great swims. 

Swim training: I am finally able to swim in the outside pool on base! This is a big deal and anyone who swims knows why. Because swimming is boring. Really, really boring. So, if you can tell me I  can swim in a different pool and stare at a different black line for 45 mins to an hour, I'll take it!

Bike training: I got in a really good trainer ride this week. I try to do most of my bike riding on a trainer. It's quicker, I can do it while it is still dark out, I can listen to music, it's harder. The list goes on forever. I bike in what some triathletes would call a "Pain Cave." It is just a garage with a bike trainer and lots of sweat on the floor. But I still ride outside on the weekends. This weekend's ride was tough. 3 hilly hours. And boy was it hot. The whole ride, all I could think about was taking an ice cold shower, which I did immediately upon my return. I also thought about the kiddos. Hopefully all this training pays off, and maybe someday some of them can do an Ironman too!

Pain Cave
Past race posters for motivation
Run training: I did a couple short runs this week and I ran in my Vibram Five Fingers to change it up a bit. I don't care what people say, I love those things and they are not bad for you. That's right, I said it. I'm not a doctor and know nothing of the bio-mechanics of the foot, but I love my Vibrams. Off my soapbox. Katie and I also CRUSHED an 11.67 mile run, with 1 extra mile holding Benny. He got upset around mile 7 or so, so we took him out of the stroller and I carried him for a mile as we walked home. It was tough. But we got home, got him changed, had a snack, and set back out on our run.

So that is this week's training in a nutshell. It's Sunday night now, and I feel like I can still train tomorrow, which is good because that's exactly what I will be doing!

Donation Updates:
We are 22% of the way to our goal!  2 months & 2 days until race day!  Keep the donations coming!

Thanks to:
Ellen, Joe, Grandma, Grandpa, Holly & Dad for sponsoring a total of 12 miles!

Justin for donating a set of swim gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment